Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Raw Test

I often get asked, "what can I eat when following The Paleo Diet?"

I must admit that I find this question somewhat baffling as the definition is pretty easy to follow in my opinion. Put simply: eat fresh, whole foods and avoid processed foods.

Fair enough, this may not provide an obvious guide to everyone. Perhaps I understand foods a little more based on my job.

Therefore, I recently proposed a food test that you could use to decide if something is a good food choice. I call it The Raw Test. It's as simple as can be. Ask yourself:

"Can I eat it raw?"

The question places the food you're considering on the spot. Would it be possible to eat it raw? This doesn't mean you would necessarily want to eat it raw. By raw - I mean uncooked or unprocessed. It's just a way to judge foods. Here are some examples, with answers to the test:

  • Fish - yes
  • Beef - yes
  • Wheat - no
  • Rice - no
  • Carrot - yes
Get it?

Is it foolproof? Absolutely not. There are exceptions to this rule. If you are looking for exceptions you are being a pain in your own ass.

Am I recommending eating uncooked? Not necessarily. It's suitable in some circumstances but not all. Educate yourself on what should be cooked and why.

Try assessing your food choices with The Raw Test. See how it works for you. Just add it to your toolkit. Leave a comment with your thoughts too.

No comments:

Post a Comment