Sunday, December 19, 2010

Eating well at Christmas get-togethers

I had my second family Christmas gathering today. It's the first year I've been completely gluten-free so it was interesting to see what a difference it made.

The first and most obvious change was that I didn't drink any beer. Today, I had a few very small glasses of Pinot Noir. I honestly don't miss drinking beer. Wine doesn't bloat me and I don't have to urinate nearly as often. Both positives.

The pre-meal snacks were a bit more difficult to negotiate. There was a lot of cracker and dip action. I steered well clear. I did partake in a few kettle chips, I must confess.

The main meal was a cracker (no pun intended). Ham, turkey, chicken and a full array of salads. I decided that to go strict Paleo today was a tad crazy but I did make good choices anyhow. I avoided the bread rolls and the pasta salad (which looked amazing). I did take one risk: the chicken stuffing looked suspiciously bready. I did my best to avoid it but probably got some cross-contamination. All in all, I could have eaten completely Paleo and GF without much trouble.

Dessert. A problem. The Christmas Pudding was out of the question. Egad! The horror. Alas, my mother came to the rescue with a gluten-free fruit cake which I topped with hard sauce and custard. Oh, the decadence.

So, it can be done. One can get through a Christmas feast without falling completely off the rails and eating crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment